[Foundation-l] PediaPress

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Sat Nov 13 21:10:29 UTC 2010

Let me ask this question. Suppose the Wikimedia Foundation were to buy
PediaPress from Brainbot, including whatever intellectual property is
associated with its service such as the LaTeX export. If Wikimedia did
this and brought the service in-house, assuming the LaTeX export is
released as open source, it would probably continue to contract with
Lightning Source or some other company to do the actual printing (our
competencies are much more on computer and web technology than print
publication). Assuming that all of this was possible - and I have no
idea what would be a reasonable price for PediaPress, whether Brainbot
would sell, or whether that would be an appropriate use of funds in the
context of our mission and strategy - would people be okay with the
current placement of the service, including continuing to charge people
who order printed books?

--Michael Snow