[Foundation-l] Should we offer to host citizendium?

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:24:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:10 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 November 2010 08:12, FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My only concern is on precedent - is this a good one (we help others in
> the
> > free knowledge/education world) or a bad one (our bandwidth is open to be
> > used by any forum or website with a story to tell). Would perception and
> > reporting in the media that we altruistically can help others (positive
> > views) or that we take over or dominate others (even if untrue, negative
> > views)? is there any risk that it would be seen as compromising our
> stance
> > and neutrality ("Wikipedia hosts/hosted Citizendium!)
>

> The precedent sounds good to me, actually. In this case, it's helping
> a wiki that is not only completely in line with our mission, but is
> presently in dire need.
>
> For comparison, let's say OpenStreetMap suddenly went broke. I'd say
> that in such a hypothetical case, hosting them would be not merely a
> good thing to do, but the right thing to do.

We did that with Uncyclopedia.  Wikimedia hosted it until Wikia was formed.
 And we're talking Uncyclopedia here.  It's satirical value had...value.
 Not quite as funny anymore.

I would prefer CZ to use Wikia, which I don't think that they would ever do
by the for-profit nature and relation to Jimbo.  CZ is not quite the wiki
culture that we have adopted and groomed for a Wikimedia project; it's
Nupedia.  So, realistically I don't quite see the meta community and the
board adopting CZ.  But it is an interesting concept, and it is not
difficult for such a small project to find drastically cheaper hosting
costs.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan