[Foundation-l] Should we offer to host citizendium?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:22:25 UTC 2010

Sage writes:
> I'm one ocean late to this conversation, but I'll give a big +1 offering
< to host Citizendium...  They wouldn't be a WMF project, and so
> wouldn't need to adhere exactly to all the core Wikimedia values.

An offer of support would be thoughtful and appropriate.  It seems
that what they really need is expert help in rearranging their hosting
so that it isn't so expensive.

I suspect they would prefer to maintain their server independently.

Emijr writes:
> I think that there is no doubt, we (interested people) have to preserve
> the data.  *If Citizendium closes* it would be nice that WMF hosts a frozen copy
> of Citizendium in English Wikisource, as I requested for Nupedia articles some
> weeks ago

Absolutely.  I restarted your Nupedia discussion, which seems like a
good idea.[1]  We can also lend a hand where appropriate before
projects close.

Regarding projects having 'different values':  While pursuing our
mission, getting other projects to adopt 'our' values may not always
be the best outcome.  Our wiki-culture is sometimes described as a
monoculture, and a barrier to the growth and balance of our community.
  Diversity of approaches to collaboration is healthy,  whether
friendly or competitive.

SJ

[1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Nupedia