[Foundation-l] And if I don't understand Dutch?

Rodan Bury bury.rodan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:53:04 UTC 2010

This is a serious issue, that is not specific to the Dutch landing page.
It's great to have local chapters participate in the Fundraiser. But they
have to follow a few guidelines in order to provide a usable and efficient
donation page.

There are several similar problems with other local landing pages. For
example, As you may see at  this donation page for readers in
Switzerland<http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=WMFJA1/CH&utm_source=2010_JA1_Banner2&utm_medium=sitenotice&utm_campaign=fridayOpening&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWikipedia%3AWikiProject_Accessibility%2FNavigation_menu>or
its capture
at ImageShack <http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1552/fundraiser2010ch.png>,
there is no obvious nor visible form or link to donate to the MWF nor
Wikimedia CH. The link to donate to the WMF is in small, at the bottom of
the page.
The only way to donate provided by the Swiss chapter Wikimedia CH is
the old-fashioned
bank check <http://www.wikimedia.ch/Donate/en>. There is no online form to
donate, no Paypal, and so forth.

This is horrible, I would never want to go trough all the troubles to make a
donation with a bank check. This is Internet, in fall 2010. Not the 90's.

I suggest three major guidelines:

   1. The chapter landing page must be translated into the official
   language(s) of the country, plus English. In addition, translation into
   every major languages spoken in the country would be appreciated.
   2. There must be an explicit and obvious way to donate online, via a
   credit card or Paypal.
   3. Let the user choose if he wants to donate to the local chapter, or the
   WMF. Both should be as obvious, and one option should not be voluntarily set
   aside.

Kind regards, Rodan Bury / Dodoïste