[Foundation-l] Should we offer to host citizendium?

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:49:23 UTC 2010

Hi all;

*In the case that Citizendium is going to close*, that I'm not sure yet, I
think that we have two debates. 1) Offering hosting to Citizendium 2)
Preserving the articles and images.

About the first question. I doubt WMF is going to offer hosting to
Citizendium. When Wikipedia passed Nupedia, it was forgot gradually, and
finally closed. I don't know if WMF has thought to revive Nupedia, but I
don't think so.

Wikipedia and her sister projects have an open design, everyone can edit.
Citizendium is not so open, it is an expert-written encyclopedia, so, I
don't think that it is a good idea to host such a project together with WMF
wikis.

About the second question. I think that there is no doubt, we (interested
people) have to preserve the data. *If Citizendium closes*, it would be nice
that WMF hosts a frozen copy of Citizendium in English Wikisource, as I
requested for Nupedia articles some weeks ago[1] (with little support). The
same for the two unique GNUPedia articles available.[2] This is part of the
human history trying to write an Internet encyclopedia. Also, we can try to
merge the contain of Citizendium into Wikipedia.

Interested people can download the current versions (not the complete
history : () of the articles here.[3] The bz2 is ok, but I can't unpack the
gzip one (correupted or not really a gzip file?).

Also, I'm downloading every single image from Citizendium, about 8000, and
their description pages which contain the license and uploader info.

Regards,
emijrp

[1]
http://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Wikisource:Scriptorium&diff=prev&oldid=2014056