[Foundation-l] naming of things in kosovo

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 08:08:48 UTC 2010

Yes, sure, but a lot of smaller villages and towns in many countries
do not have well-established English names. Besides, what constitutes
the "English name" is a matter of debate - according to law, the
official name of Kolkata in English is "Kolkata"... but then, couldn't
Germany pass a law saying that their name in English was
"Bundesrepublik Deustchland", and would we have to consider that just
as English as "Kolkata" or "Thiruvananthapuram" (formerly Calcutta and
Trivandrum)?

Anyhow, referring to things by their conventional English name is the
reason we call it Kosovo and not Kosovë or Kosova, the Albanian names;
however in cases such as village and town names, names of mountains
and bridges, etc. which may have been referred to both ways in English
literature or barely mentioned or not mentioned at all in English
sources, it's less clear-cut.