[Foundation-l] Copyright terms, again

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:42:36 UTC 2010

We are discussing now at WM RS list about treating copyright terms for
Serbian authors.

Terms are:
* Previous situation was 50 years after author's death.
* The new copyright term in Serbia came in 2004, introducing 70 years
after author's death.
* That means that works which authors died in 1953 or before is
something like CC-BY (as in any continental jurisdiction).

So, according to Serbian copyright law, we are able to include those
works in Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.

However, it is mentioned that it doesn't include anything in US.
However, I think that it is irrational, as I can't imagine that
someone sues for copyright infringement in US for work made in some
other country. However, I am fully sure that US legal system *is*
irrational in relation to the copyright.

May someone make it clear to us?