[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 00:22:30 UTC 2010

On 7 November 2010 12:26, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> That naming funding sources is in fact *standard in the field* is,
> however, something that strongly suggests we should not deliberately
> withhold such information from the reader.

Err we don't. They are free to consult the source.

However the field in question has long established standards when it
comes to citation.

So for example when "Anti-HIV-1 activity of salivary MUC5B and MUC7
mucins from HIV patients with different CD4 counts" cites "Interaction
of HIV-1 and human salivary mucin" they do so in the form of:

"Bergey EJ, Cho MI, Blumberg BM, Hammarskjold ML, Rekosh D, Epstein
LG, Levine MJ. Interaction of HIV-1 and human salivary mucins. J
Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1994;7:995–1002."

And do not mention it's funding source

(see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2967540/).

So if you wanted to follow the standards of their field editors would
have to disclose their funding source. This would presumably result in
a history entry looking something like this:

12:23, 6 November 2010 examplestudent (talk | contribs | block)
(127,638 bytes) (nonsensical edit involving plankton)(funding:parents
+student loans company limited+Joint Information Systems Committee)
(rollback | undo)

--
geni