[Foundation-l] No, even a couple of Google ads on each page would be a fa...

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Nov 7 22:57:10 UTC 2010

> In a message dated 11/7/2010 8:12:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> thomas.dalton at gmail.com writes:
>

>> They won't be people that want ads, though. They'll be people that
>> want ad revenue for us. If they click, they'll be clicking to get us
>> revenue and not actually buying, which advertisers stopped falling for
>> years ago.
>>

> I'm also skeptical that any sort of tab that is just a click here to see
> ads will be very productive.  I'm also skeptical that manually placed and
> manually monitored,  internet advertising even pays for the wages of the
> worker.
>
> This is why Google uses automagic.  And why everyone else does as well.

I envision ads being sold by salespeople on commission. Anyone who sells
an ad would be responsible for selecting and monitoring the ads they
sell. Commission guarantees our salespeople will go after ads that are
relevant to the page they are linked from that marketers feel are
worthwhile. Even without counting click throughs we could add information
to the link on the ad page which showed the other end where the potential
customer came from.

If automagic worked, I would see ads for stuff I might have at least a
passing interest in; I seldom do. But if I'm looking at an article on a
book or an author I might well take a look at an ad page linked from it.
I buy lots of books. If nothing else it would save a step or two.

Fred