[Foundation-l] No, even a couple of Google ads on each page would be a fatally bad idea

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Nov 7 15:52:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 November 2010 00:34, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> I'm sure they'd be willing to work out a deal where people can opt-in
>> to Wikipedia ads (which wouldn't be subject to the anti-porn rules).
>> I doubt they'd allow non-opt-in ads on [[tit torture]], though.
>
> I'm not convinced opt-in ads would get any significant revenue. Very
> few people would opt-in and those that do would probably be people
> that are just doing it to get us money and aren't going to click on
> the ads, so we wouldn't actually get any money.

Oh, sorry, I just realized how incredibly confusing I phrased that.
What I meant by "people can opt-in" was that the advertisers could
opt-in to allowing their ads to appear on Wikipedia, so that
unsuspecting advertisers didn't wind up having their products
displayed on an illustrated article about [[tit torture]].