[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 11:38:58 UTC 2010

Papers are used to back up specific statements, not entire articles - often
many papers are used to back up an article.  We assume an ability to make
thoughtful assessments of cites by our readers - that's exactly why we cite
and why we attribute (apart from copyright reasons). It seems inconsistent
to say that a user can appreciate cites as a way to assess the facts they
back up, but is incapable of assessing funding sources the same way.

A user reading an article on medical aspects of smoking might want to be
informed  which cites were tobacco-industry funded findings and which were
funded by anti-smoking lobbies or government health bodies. A person reading
about automotive and vehicle matters might find it useful to know which
facts were by independent sources and which by sources with some stance in
the matter.  For better or worse, "getting studies published" is a major PR
strategy for  a wide range of companies - think Microsoft's "studies" of
Linux some years back.  So transparency is now important. That we can't do
it for all studies doesn't mean we shouldn't invite it where we can.

Ideally this would lead to increased scrutiny of sources and perhaps
substitution of sources by other sources more visibly neutral in the topic's
debate.

FT2