[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 05:41:17 UTC 2010

John, by your rationale, every scholarly journal that follows defined
ethics guidelines *requiring* that the funding be disclosed impugns the
authors' integrity. Does it really?

There is a difference between transparency and assumption of wrongdoing;
and history is full of people who resisted transparency with similar
arguments. It is like saying our politicians should not have to disclose
their expenses, because asking them to do so implies an assumption of
wrongdoing on their part. There is no such assumption, but there is also
a recognition in society that transparency helps prevent abuse.

As for David's point,

> Does not work for me,, because it
> unreasonably implies that references
> without it are not so funded.

ways around this can easily be found, if there is a will to do so. For
example, if the funding field is left empty, it could be made to default to
something like "no data available".

Andreas