[Foundation-l] No, even a couple of Google ads on each page would be a fatally bad idea

Cool Hand Luke User.CoolHandLuke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:05:51 UTC 2010

This was manifestly not a "fatal" idea.  In fact, it appears they concluded
that *operating on donations *would be fatal.  Moral of the story: Wikipedia
is different.

Considering how much spam we receive, and how long some of it persists, I
sometimes wonder if we haven't miscalculated the costs and benefits.  For
example, WMF could be getting something like $30 per-click on ads in
articles like Mesothelioma.  Ad money instead goes to enterprising spammers
who sometimes succeed in placing their links in high-traffic or high value
articles.

Frank