[Foundation-l] Wikidata

José Emilio Mori Recio jem at archivalladolid.org
Fri May 28 20:01:46 UTC 2010

Hello. I've just joined the list, as soon as I've known about the Wikidata
subject.

I've been thinking about a Wikidata project even before I knew about the
ideas proposed at Meta. I've explained it to several people in Spanish
wikipedia, and there I've begun work on "Wikidata-compliant" population
data templates, which are also found in en.wiki and de.wiki. Obviously
Wikidata seems almost "a must" for me, not only for providing up-to-date
data once for all the wikis, but also for providing global solutions to
show it (graphics, tables...), and many other ideas.

But the proposals at Meta don't seem to advance, and the Wikidata mailing
list (!) is inactive from 2007. Recently I asked in IRC, and Gerard talked
to me about Omegawiki; currently used for dictionaries, but could possibly
expand to Wikidata. On the other hand, the "global templates" or
"Commons-like" solution for Wikidata would need no "extra interface" as
Omegawiki does (so, faster implementation and adaptation) and there could
be useful global templates not related to data. But that wouldn't be a
real database to interact with (from Toolserver, for example).

Anyway, it seems clear to me that Wikidata is necessary, and that it
should be an independent Wikimedia project, whichever the way it is
implemented. I hope it can be "pushed" from here, and I'm ready to help
with the work when appropiate.

Looking forward to more ideas...

José Emilio Mori Recio, -jem- in the projects