[Foundation-l] [Offlist] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

Geoffrey Plourde geo.plrd at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 06:29:04 UTC 2010

Mike,

The provisions of 2257 that I find concerning and potentially relevant in the present case are (h)(2)(a)(iii) and (f)(4).

(h)(2)(a)(iii) defines producing as uploading a picture, which appears to mean that uploaders must keep records for their photographs. It also appears that the legislative intent was for the record statement to be affixed to the material in question, something that isn't currently happening. This is stressed in (f)(4), which makes it unlawful to use any material without the requisite notice affixed to it.

I suspect that the Foundation isn't liable here in cases where it has not been made aware of potential violations. Section 230 probably applies up to the point where the Foundation refuses to take appropriate action.

I'm not a lawyer though, so I might be wrong here. What do you think?

Geoffrey Plourde