[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat May 22 02:03:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> implementation, and there's no "flagging" in the proposed configuration.
> Additionally, "protection" in our world implies "no editing" whereas this
[snip]
>   - Must not introduce obsolete terminology (e.g. there's no "flagging" in
>   our proposed deployment)

I guess I'm confused, because I see flagging all over this but you're
saying there is none?
To the best of my understanding:

The flags are what distinguishes approved revisions from non-approved
revisions and on designated pages controls which revisions are
displayed by default to anons.

This is mostly the same way that flagged revisions work elsewhere, the
difference in functionality is that rather than the flagging-effect
being enabled across an entire project or namespace it is controlled
through the protection configuration mechanism on a page by page
basis.

> Additionally, "protection" in our world implies "no editing" whereas this

The protection interface controls and has long a number of things
related to the permissions granted to manipulate a page.  The same
protection interface allows a page to be "move protected" for example,
which doesn't do anything related to _editing_ but instead prevents
the page from being moved to a new name.   Following that mode, this
feature enables the protection of the flagging process on pages which
users deem require that level of protection— just as there as is the
case for the other protective modes.

or as described by the proposal on English Wikipedia which was
approved by hundreds of contributors: "Flagged protection is a
specific use of flagged revisions which provides an alternative to the
current page protection feature: instead of disallowing editing for
certain users, editing is allowed, but those edits must be flagged
before being displayed to non-registered readers by default."

I'm also not clear how "Pending Revisions" would actually fit into the
operational dialogue of people working on the site: