[Foundation-l] Along with Vector, a new look for changes to the Wikipedia identity

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Thu May 13 15:14:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> However, I am missing why it was decided to decrease the size of the
> logo. It definitely looks more professional, but also somewhat less
> friendly to me. Maybe it is just me, maybe not - I just would like to
> understand the rationale first.
>
> And is there any chance that the middle horizontal line is made
> slightly less intense? Right now, the attention is drawn there (at
> least for me) instead of the open part at the top. It gives me a
> slight impression as if the bowl is about to burst. Which is of course
> a valid representation of the truth with all community uproar lately,
> but I don't think it should be our message :)

It was jarring at first, and I'll grant that the initial shock
(seriously, somehow this slipped under my radar entirely) accounts for
most of my aversion, but I have to agree with Lodewijk.  I couldn't
quite quantify it, at first, but I think "corporate" vs. "friendly" is
a good assessment—and the middle line is indeed rather distracting.

Fundamentally, though, it just looks imbalanced to me.  I don't mean
for my personal aesthetic to in any way diminish the hard work of
everyone involved in improving the logo—and in many respects,
particularly in the use of a free font, it is an improvement—but...
ew?

Austin