[Foundation-l] Commons:Sexual content

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun May 9 22:23:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Adam Cuerden <cuerden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I've complained a lot, time to give something back.
>
> I think I've managed to create a sexual content policy that's
> consistent with the core values of commons and previous decisions,
> such as the artworks of Muhammed,  while dealing with the problems and
> assuring that any sexual content that remains is, at the least,
> defensible as serving our educational purpose.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Sexual_content
>
> It'll probably need  a bit more work, but a policy based on forwarding
> our goals, rather than censorship... Well! Think we might have summat
> here.

I am of the opinion that "clear educational purpose" is a much too
stringent criterium. Does this mean that any picture (not including
artwork) that might possibly have another reason to be taken must be
deleted? I'm not so fond of your list of examples either. Apparently
you have decided for all of us already that we should not have
photographs of sexual positions? I think with these rules you are
_still_ throwing out the baby with the bathwater. You still have
Commons decide for Wikimedia as a whole what is and what is not to be
put on the project pages. I think this should be the other way around.
Being educational should be just another word for being in scope, and
in scope are, in my opinion, in the first place those files that are
usable for the projects. That is the first thing that we should be
judging things by.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com