[Foundation-l] Removing questions about me and my role from this discussion

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun May 9 15:18:43 UTC 2010

On 9 May 2010 10:46, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia-inc.com> wrote:

> In the interest of encouraging this discussion to be about real
> philosophical/content issues, rather than be about me and how quickly I
> acted, I've just now removed virtually all permissions to actually do
> things from the "Founder" flag.  I even removed my ability to edit
> semi-protected pages!  (I've kept permissions related to 'viewing' things.)
>
> I do not want to be a tyrant or dictator.  I do not want us to fight
> about that kind of thing, as it's really a distraction from our work.

Thanks for this, it is a very good move. I think this will have the
desired effect of allowing us to move on from discussing you and
discuss the actual issue.

I notice you have kept "protect" and "undelete". Is that intentional?
If so, can you explain your thinking behind that decision?

As someone else has mentioned in this thread, you have kept the rights
necessary to change your own rights in the future. It would probably
be best to remove them too. I'm assuming you don't intend to give
yourself back rights should you want to use them (that would make this
a meaningless gesture, which I've never known you make before), so you
have no need to keep those rights.

I think you should also consider your admin rights on English
Wikipedia. I know they are historically a separate issue from your
founder rights, but since you have already voluntarily given up your
enwiki block rights, now might be the time to give up the rest too.
(You can use the founder flag for the various view rights, which I
think you are right to keep.)

Thank you again for doing this - despite the fact that I've just been
picking holes in it, I really do think that even with these issues it
is an excellent thing to have done. The important this is the good
attitude you've shown in doing this.