[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 9 01:37:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:

> This assumes that...
>

> This is not always feasible...
>

> And the point is that some solutions weaken the Wikimedia Commons
> and/or the sister projects that rely upon it.
>

> Depending on the language, that isn't always an easy task.  And again,
> that assumes that a benefit exists and is apparent.

You seem to have missed my entire point.  I hope some others got it.  The
point is, the proper response to a deletion is situation-dependent.  Having
a bot make the fix is therefore a bad solution.

I'm surprised that hasn't been evident before now.

Jimbo shouldn't be blamed for the actions of CommonsDelinkerBot.  For those
particular deletions in which he exercised poor judgment, sure.  For
wheel-warring over some of those instances, absolutely.  But ultimately, his
actions (as opposed to the actions which were caused by the maintainer of
CommonsDelinkerBot), are easily undone, at least from a technical
standpoint.