[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:35:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:
> Commons, Wikiquote and Wikisource has by themselves no educational
> value. They gain their educational value in the way that they provide
> repositories for the other WMF projects.

Hold on, now.  These are all awesome educational projects in their own right.

And people learn from them every day, just as people learn from museum
galleries & annotated photo books, books of quotations, and curated
collections of primary sources.

Commons resolved the "are we our own project or are we a technical
solution for other projects" question early in its evolution.   And
its great that it became its own community, because its culture has
developed some of the best examples of multilingual collaboration we
have.

SJ