[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 03:36:26 UTC 2010

WJhonson writes:

> I'm going to disagree with this claim.  Are you suggesting that in order to
> write an article about a living person, a reporter would need their license
> to do so?

Not at all. I'm pointing out, though, that there are all sorts of potential
and actual rights embedded in content, and that the right of publicity (as
it's called in the United States) is one of them. If we insisted on a
simplistic notion of "freedom" with regard to free content, we'd have to
take this legal encumbrance into account.

By submitting, using their true names, they are granting us the license to
> use their true names per our terms.

Which free license is being used here with regard to the right to use true
names? GFDL? CC-BY-SA?

> How could we interpret any of that differently?  It seems like a
> hodge-podge.

Now you're beginning to see the complexity of the issues.

--Mike