[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Mar 23 16:12:06 UTC 2010

It is gratifying to know that someone is so sure that different
dialects of Portuguese are mutually intelligible. I speak more than
one language and have never able to understand all native speakers of
any language both in speech and writing. How dumb of me.

Blind non-interventionist policies have spelled disaster for
countless minorities, but some people will get a better feeling for
it when Spanish becomes the language of the majority of US citizens,
as they already are when that is happening in their town, county or state.

I understand that the topic started with a suggestion to create "a
new version of Wikipedia in Portuguese from Portugal", but I can't
fail to notice that, for the wider Wikimedia community, avoiding to
address any of problems of the Portuguese Wikipedia, might be very
convenient to keep it where it is, mired in problems. We all have
problems of our own, right? Why bother?

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado

Prof. Virgilio A. P. Machado            vam at fct.unl.pt
Engenharia
Industrial
http://web.archive.org/web/20070824105539/www.ipei.pt/GDEI/
DEMI/FCT/UNL                    Fax:   351-21-294-8546 or 21-294-8531
Universidade de Portugal                or 351-21-295-4461
2829-516 Caparica                       Tel.:  351-21-294-8542 or 21-294-8567
PORTUGAL                                or 351-21-294-8300 or 21 294-8500
                                         Ext.112-32
96-577-3726
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia/UNL (FCT/UNL)

(Dr. Machado is Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the
School of Sciences and Engineering/UNL of the University of Portugal)