[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Mar 23 15:30:18 UTC 2010

The ability to speak Portuguese is really not a
requirement to participate in a serious
discussion about many problems concerning the
Portuguese Wikipedia. There are millions of
people who speak Portuguese, but are total or
functional analphabets. I would not consider that
they meet the requirements needed to engage in
such a discussion. On the other hand, there are
many people who might not speak Portuguese, but
are the most knowledgeable about the Portuguese
language. Ain't that a shame? Now, go figure.

I agree with the statement that "decisions like
this should be made by people who know the
language variants and their differences". People
of average intelligence should be able to make an
informed decision, if those variants and
differences are clearly stated and explained to
them. They will then be in the know, too.

The concept of "outsiders" is more difficult to
grasp. If "outsiders" means people who don't
"know the language variants and their
differences", I'm afraid that will exclude a very
large percentage of the most active editors of
the Portuguese Wikipedia and a lot of them will
not be capable of making an informed decision any time soon.

Leaving the decision to the speakers of
Portuguese is perhaps a statement inspired in
self rule and democracy, but those concepts are
hardly understood, much less applied, in the
conditions most speakers of Portuguese live in
this very day. As for the practices in the
Portuguese Wikipedia I'll already address that
topic on another occasion. One might consider, on
the other hand, that the generalization of such
policy would make irrelevant all international
organizations. The Wikimedia Foundation happens
to be an international organization, by its very
nature and basic principles. The fact that there
have been posts made to this list, about the
subject, by an international group, also goes to
show that the problem and the solution concerns
more people than strictly those who speak
Portuguese. That would be a complete and total
disaster, for reasons already explained.

If one truly believes in self rule and democracy,
the assertion that "it seems that the majority of
speakers does not want to split." is a real
mystery. If those questions got to be decided by
majorities, we all would probably end up with a
single Wikipedia... in Chinese. Please, spare me
of the fixation on to split or not to split. That
might not be the question. Again and again I see
people avoiding the issue of clearly identifying
the problems, looking for appropriate solutions,
and proposing and supporting informed decisions.

The notion that "Outsiders can assist by giving
advice." brings to mind so many examples of
"foreign advisers" that I shudder at the thought.
After a childish epithet, all that was needed was
a paternalistic one. Writing from a country with
almost nine hundred years and being part of a
nation much older and greater, I'm afraid I'll
have to ask you to spare my humbler and less
literate countrymen and women from that
embarrassing position. Let me assure you that we
take pride in honoring our hospitality traditions
and love to talk with our equals and people
without pretenses, mostly if they happen to be false.

There is merit in proclaiming that the problems
that arise from differences should be minimized,
although it's kind of difficult to decide on
"how" until it is clearly and completely known "what".

As for decisions imposed by outsiders on the
community, that again all depends on how
outsiders and community are defined, but no
matter which way you look at it, that's exactly what's been going on.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado

Prof. Virgilio A. P. Machado            vam at fct.unl.pt
Engenharia
Industrial
http://web.archive.org/web/20070824105539/www.ipei.pt/GDEI/
DEMI/FCT/UNL                    Fax:   351-21-294-8546 or 21-294-8531
Universidade de Portugal                or 351-21-295-4461
2829-516 Caparica                       Tel.:  351-21-294-8542 or 21-294-8567
PORTUGAL                                or 351-21-294-8300 or 21 294-8500
                                         Ext.112-32
96-577-3726
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia/UNL (FCT/UNL)

(Dr. Machado is Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the
School of Sciences and Engineering/UNL of the University of Portugal)