[Foundation-l] FlaggedRevisions status (March 2010)

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Thu Mar 4 22:12:15 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 01:45 PM, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
> Why did it take this request from enwiki to have the UX aspect of
> flagged revisions taken seriously?
>
> This has been one of the main complaints about the implementation since
> day zero. All other complaints I've heard have been regarding the idea,
> not the implementation. The UX problems are real, yet were unaddressed
> until very recently. Why? Will the Foundation be expending effort on
> this using the now-permanent UX team?

This is history of which I'm partly ignorant, but I don't think there's
anything specific about the enwiki request that triggered the user
experience improvements.

I think MediaWiki coders -- like developers everywhere -- have
consistently built things with the best interfaces they knew how to
make. The difference is that now there are people with strong UX
backgrounds on staff and available to help, which means better results.

So I'd say that the UX improvements underway for Flagged Revisions are
already a sign of what you're looking for: the Foundation's desire to
use the UX team more broadly to make everything better.

William