[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 18 03:08:45 UTC 2010

I don't think scapegoating Wikipedia's gender imbalances to biological
differences is especially helpful. And the suggestion that it may not be
possible to dumb-down Wikipedia enough to attract women is ridiculous
(and offensive). Regardless of our genetic predispositions, there are
very real cultural issues that frequently drive female contributors away
from Wikimedia projects. Many areas of our projects are downright
mysogynistic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3APatriarchy&action=historysubmit&diff=290490477&oldid=290436986
while others are just passively sexist:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Picture_of_the_day/Archive_1#POTD.27s_depiction_of_women
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Nudity#Standard_regarding_female_vs_male_genitalia
Not to mention that our trolls seem to favor profiling and harassing
female editors:
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=18616&st=20&p=107254&#entry107254

As long as disrespectful and sexist behavior flourishes unchecked,
editing Wikipedia will probably not be an attractive proposition for
most women. Unfortunately, this problem seems to be self-perpetuating,
as the more the gender ratio is skewed, the more the culture of
Wikipedia will tend to tolerate sexist or mysogynistic behavior, and the
more women will leave the project. I think instead of trying to figure
out some magic interface pheromone for women, we should just start
reaching out to more women directly. It would be great if the
Foundation's new public policy initiative could do outreach to some
Women's Studies programs or if we could promote Wikipedia to women's
tech groups like IBM Women in Technology or the Anita Borg Institute for
Women and Technology. Any other ideas?

Ryan Kaldari