[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Howie Fung hfung at wikimedia.org
Sat Jun 5 00:03:15 UTC 2010

The Usability team discussed this issue at length this afternoon.  We
listened closely to the feedback and have come up with solution which we
hope will work for everyone.  It's not a perfect solution, but we think
it's a reasonable compromise.

First, some background on the problem we're addressing and the design
principle that we used.  Every situation is unique, but in the case of
the interwikilinks, we believe the sheer number of language links,
especially within the context of an information-heavy page, makes users
"numb" to the list.  When people see large collections of things, they
tend to group them all together as one object and not identify the
individual parts that make the whole. As the number of items in the list
decreases the likelihood of a person identifying the individual items
increases. This is similar to how viewing a traffic jam appears as a
long line of generic vehicles, while seeing just a few cars driving down
the road might be comprehended in more granular detail (a motorcycle, a
truck and a sports car).  While we did not explicitly test for this
during our usability studies (e.g., it wasn't included as a major design
question), we did exercise judgement in identifying this as a problem,
based partly on the applying the above design principle to the site,
partly on the data.

Regarding the data behind the decision.  First, let me apologize for the
tardiness.  The engineer who implemented the clicktracking of the left
nav recently returned from vacation, so you can probably imagine how
things might be a little difficult to find after being away for a
while.   Please see [1] for more details, but a quick summary is that we
measured the click behavior for two groups of English Wikipedia users,
Monobook and Vector (Vector users are primarily those who participated
in the beta).  Of Monobook and Vector users, 0.95% and 0.28% clicked on
the language links (out of 126,180 and 180,873 total clicks),
respectively.  We felt that fewer than 1% of Monobook clicks was a
reasonable threshold for hiding the Language links, especially when
taken in the context of the above design principle and the
implementation (state persists after expanding).

We do, however, recognize the concern that was voiced by a number of our
community members.  When the language links are in a collapsed state
however, there is not enough information to explain what the list will
be if you were to expand it.  In all likelihood, we won't be able to get
the verbiage to the point where it's sufficiently descriptive of the
inter-language links.  A list of languages is probably more effective as
it *shows* the user that there are other languages available (rather
than *telling* the user via a "Language", "In other languages" etc.
link).  However, exposing all of the languages can potentially be just
as ineffectual as showing none of them.

A more effective approach would be to balance the two, by showing just
enough links to clearly illustrate the meaning of the list.  So our
proposal is to show a list of, say, 5 languages with a "more" link.  We
think that a list of 5 languages should be sufficient to communicate to
the user that there are other language versions available.  If the
language they want is not on the list, they may click "more" to see the
full list.

There are numerous ways we can populate the list of 5.  The simplest way
is to populate based on the current order, but we can also do it based
on size of the wiki, browser language, geo IP, etc.   Our proposal is to
go with something simple for now, and then continue to explore options
for greater customization.

We hope this compromise addresses the most pressing concerns that have
been raised.  I will update the page on the usability wiki with the
above information [2].  Please direct discussion/feedback to that page.

Thank you for your input.

Howie, on behalf of the User Experience Team at WMF

[1] http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Left_Nav_Click_Data
[2] http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Opinion:_Language_Links