[Foundation-l] Office action

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 23:38:37 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 00:13, Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com> wrote:
> It was clearly un-lawful to take down the TU Munich logo which isn't
> protectable according German copyright law but WMF has done so.

Of course it is lawful for the WMF to remove something from a WMF
site. It may not be legally necessary, but that doesn't make it
un-lawful. Also, German copyright law is irrelevant - the servers are
in Florida (with a few in the Netherlands) and that is where almost
all the WMF's assets are based. Finally, the WMF rightfully errs on
the side of caution with legal matters - just because we could win the
court case doesn't mean it is worth fighting it.

Oh, one last point - next time you post a complaint to foundation-l,
please include links to the relevant actions and discussions.