[Foundation-l] Banner ads in sitenotice

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Thu Jul 29 22:06:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> advantage of not putting English ads on the Italian (substitute almost
> every non english wikipedia of your choice) wikipedia.

We actually have translations of the notice in 40 languages already
and more are coming in as we speak.
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Work_at_Wikimedia>

> The size is
> also problematical. On my screen it takes up about twice the space of
> the average image thumbnail something people who come to wikipedia
> actualy want to see.

Feel free to hit the "hide" button after you've read it and decided
you no longer want to see it or click anymore.

> Incidentally:
>
> "In one or two sentences, describe the process in which users are
> approved to become administrators on English Wikipedia. "
>
> Is this some kind of test to see if people know how to use semi colons?

This actually made me laugh. :-)

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 July 2010 22:43, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the advert was only on the English Wikipedia, they couldn't achieve
> that. Anyone working for the Foundation needs to be able to speak
> English, for practical reasons, so it makes sense not to waste time
> translating the notice.

Indeed.  That's why the application form is only in English -- it
doesn't make sense to waste translators' time translating the
application form if you need to be proficient in English to work at
the Foundation.  However, the notice can be translated into whatever
language anyone wants, because it's not really nice to have a big
notice at the top of your wiki in a different language... it's rude
and sticks out like a sore thumb. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023