[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:12:19 UTC 2010

That's absolutely a problem that should not be overlooked. Despite
what I said in the other thread about content equivalency across
languages, I think this is quite a different issue. A competent
translator must take into account context and fluency, and often
direct translations do not fit, even when they're grammatically
correct. Language is a living organism consisting of more than just
words and grammatical rules, we use lots of idioms and turns of phrase
that are unique to our languages (or even our local dialects).
Ignoring these things in a translation can generally give us output
that is understandable, but not necessarily "good" - it can come out
sounding stilted, awkward and contrived, at best.

The latest version of GTTK allows the merger of segments, i.e. two
sentences in the original can be merged into one and translated
accordingly. However, I think it's important to not lose sight of the
fact that GTTK is just that: a toolkit. It is not the end-all solution
for article creation on any Wiki, nor is it an evil entity that goes
around dumping poor-quality text on our projects. It is what we make
it - I can use GTTK to produce a translation that is a good, prosaic
article if I am willing to put in the time and effort to adapt text
from one language to another, which is really the job of the
translator anyhow.

This doesn't take away from the problem raised by M. Yahia about
community, but I do wonder about that. Informational cannibalism has
been common in our community between languages for a long time,
ranging from borrowed parts of articles to translations of full
articles. This hasn't seemed to be a problem in the past, before GTTK.
What struck me were the phrases "very bad sentence structures" and
"bad jargon translations". Aren't we talking about professional
translators here, people who do this for a living? An excellent
translator should not only know their source language well, they must
also be intimately familiar with the ins and outs of their target
language, beyond just the fact of being a native speaker. If a
translation doesn't sound natural in the target language, that's not
because it's a translation, it's because either 1) it's a poor
translation or 2) it wasn't natural sounding in the source language,
either! In most cases, I'd guess 1) since as a translator I'd rather
compensate for people's grammatical mistakes than attempt to re-render
them in another language.

The key to a great finished translation, in my opinion, is good
proofreading. Before proofreading, your translation is like a block of
unfinished wood. Rough, but still suitable for some uses. After
proofreading, it should be polished. A good translation should leave
the reader unable to tell whether the text was translated or if it was
originally written in the target language, with only very rare
exceptions.

-m.