[Foundation-l] Free translation memory

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Jul 29 08:17:39 UTC 2010

This is a follow-up to the discussions about Google Translate and
Translator Toolkit.

One of the problems that quickly arises in discussions about it is
that this software is not Free-as-in-Freedom. The Translator Toolkit
website is not too complicated, so it's not very important whether
it's Free or not, but the stored translations belong to Google and are
used by Google to improve their non-Free services. I don't mind Google
making money out of my translation efforts, but i am less happy about
the fact that, unless i am missing something, the stored translated
strings can only be read by Google. Sometimes i will actually want to
give up on my privacy and publish the sentence pairs and make them
useful to researchers. (And if it is possible to enforce them to use
it only in Free software, all the better.)

Is there a Free competitor to the Google Translator Toolkit in terms
of online storage and sharing? I heard about OmegaT, but if i
understand correctly, it is a local application that doesn't offer
online storage and sharing - but correct me if i'm wrong. Are there
any other Free-minded translation memory services?

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com