[Foundation-l] Pending Changes update for July 28

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 20:55:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>  For a variety of operational reasons, we plan to leave the feature running
> while the community decides whether to keep the feature on, assuming that
> process lasts no more than a month or so after August 15.

Wanted to expand on this point a bit. The justification is that turning
off Pending Changes is quite a bit of work and would clutter the logs
(all of the Pending Changes pages would be Semi-Protected so they're
not all immediate targets for vandalism).

It would be a lot of work with no net benefit if the community decides
to keep the feature on. This applies to both the operations staff as well
as the community (they would have to mark everything with pending
changes again after it was reactivated). If the community decides to
not keep the feature, a little extra time of leaving it on during the
discussion period wouldn't hurt--and would give people a chance to do
some last-minute evaluation if they're on the fence.

-Chad