[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions forPotentially-Objectionable Content

Sue Gardner susanpgardner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:40:37 UTC 2010

Alec, thanks for making that post. I know people have had these discussions for a long time (I've read lots of them), but I really appreciate you writing a long explanation of what you think.

The "no censorship" people don't tend to want to lay out their full position -- because they already have, and because I think they think it's obvious. And a lot of it is obvious. But it's better, I think, to have a full, thoughtful conversation, even if it's exhausting. Because it _is_ a critical issue, as you know.  So I appreciate you doing it.  (David Gerard did something similar on his blog the other day: I appreciated that too.)

I also wanted to say -- you know in your post where you speculate about why this is happening now, is it because of the fundraising, has someone offered board members jobs, etc.  (I know you were mostly non-serious about the jobs.)  That is a totally legitimate set of questions.  But -- I don't know if you've read the 2010-11 plan.  In it, we lay out the new revenue strategy, which focuses on "many small donations," and calls for a shift away from a "balanced approach," which includes grants and large gifts and earned income.  (We will still do some of that, but much less.). That new approach is not an accident: it's a deliberate attempt, by me and the board, after lots of thinking, to reduce the likelihood that we'll need or want to compromise due to the attitudes or desires of funders.  We want the Wikimedia Foundation to be oriented towards readers and editors.

I want Wikipedia --everyone, I think, wants Wikipedia-- to be independent.  That's not a guarantee that we won't make mistakes.  But we want our mistakes to be honest ones, made by us, rather than being unhappy compromises that we get forced into by others.  I know that is obvious to you: I'm saying it so you know it's obvious to me too :-)

Thanks,
Sue