[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 02:43:39 UTC 2010

Hello Robert,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM, R M Harris <rmharris at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> the time has come, I think, to actively begin a discussion within the communities
> about some of the questions which I've encountered, specifically around Commons
> and images within Commons.

I'd love to see better summaries as Excirial suggests.  More
specifically, instead of another discussion, how about

"...summarizing existing discussions into clusters of ideas that can
be identified with common use cases or user preferences, and informed
by better research or turned into specific proposals and
recommendations" ?

We have hundreds of overlapping threads, hundreds of existing policies
and guidelines on different projects, dozens of different use cases
and concerns, and many different ideas and suggestions.  a few of
these have turned into specific draft proposals, but those have not
been consolidated or aligned with one another or with existing
policies and guidelines.

Making good summaries may reuiqre finding editors to help out as
clerks -- organizing and refactoring existing discussions in a central
place.  And you would definitely need some translation help to cover
existing discussions in a variety of languages.  Ideally, those who
have expressed themselves clearly in previous discussions would not
need to repeat themselves -- lest you end up with an unwanted contest
of volume.

SJ

PS - The most recent problem we've had is on the Acehnese Wikipedia:
[[Requests for comment/ace.wikipedia and Prophet Muhammad images]]. It
is concerned with a combination of image context and the availability
of certain images within Commons.  Your reflections on that discussion
(and mapping it onto the questoins you raise) might illuminate related
issues.