[Foundation-l] Discussion Questions for Potentially-Objectionable Content

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 22:31:58 UTC 2010

 *If I were to make an account with the user name CumInYourCornflakes or
HitlerMyHero there'd be someone all over the account within minutes,
blocking banning, and deleting.*

Hem, is that "information"? I would have trouble calling that "Raw data",
let alone information. Keep in mind that there are other rules as well -
wp:notcensored is not the only reason why certain actions are taken :).

*No it is NOT. It is not censorship if I choose not to see X, that is my
choice. So long as YOU have the choice to see X if you want to then we can
both live in harmony. The conflict arises when you say that I must see X, or
if I say you must not see X. Where X is some broadly recognized category of
offensive material.*

Agreed. As our own "Censorship" article states "*Censorship* is the suppression
of speech <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech> or deletion of
communicative material which may be considered objectionable, harmful,
sensitive, or inconvenient to the government or media organizations as
determined by a censor.". if someone simply doesn't wish to see content it
is not censorship, since it affects only them. The difficulty doesn't arise
unless ones actions make content available, or remove the availability of
content, for other people. The entire issue we have is "What takes
precedence? The right to view, or the right to not view content".

~Excirial