[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 Now Posted

Veronique Kessler vkessler at wikimedia.org
Mon Jul 19 18:25:41 UTC 2010

Hi Nemo,

Thanks for your questions.

Yes, we answered No to Part VI, section A, line 7a since the Board
ultimately approves the seats.  However, we are a unique organization
and I think for the next 990, I will include an explanation in Schedule
O that explains the process.  Usually you only include info on Schedule
O if you answer yes, but either way, it would be good to include that
information going forward.

Yes, the data provider services contains the live-feed revenue and
licensing revenue and yes, it is contained in the $398K in the financial
statements.

Regarding the gift policy, we clearly have a gift policy.  When you look
at the instructions related to how to answer that question, it talks
about the definition of a non-standard contribution which is very
specific.  Since we didn't specifically name in our gift policy the
specifics of a non-standard contribution per the definition of the IRS,
we marked it no.  I spoke with KPMG this morning and there could be an
argument made for us answering it either way, but I and KPMG are
comfortable with the answer we gave.

Veronique