[Foundation-l] Call for volunteers: 2010-2011 Audit Committee

Stu West stu at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 16 20:26:28 UTC 2010

As many of you know, the Wikimedia Foundation has an Audit Committee which represents the Board in oversight of financial and accounting issues, including planning, reporting, audits, and internal controls (see http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_committee for details).  The Committee typically serves for one year, roughly from July through the late Spring when the Foundation files its annual tax return in the U.S.  This past year the committee included members from the broad community, from chapters, and from the Foundation's Board (including me as Committee Chair).

We’ve recently started forming the 2010-2011 Audit Committee and as we did last year would like to call for volunteers from the community.  The time commitment is modest, as far as Wikimedia goes:  review the Foundation’s financial practices and financial statements/filings, and then participate in three or four conference calls during the year with the staff and our independent auditors at KPMG (see http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_charter for full duties).  The primary requirement for membership is “financial literacy”, some kind of professional experience with finance, accounting or audit.  As it is a governance and oversight role, Committee members cannot serve under a pseudonym, undergo the same basic background check as others in WMF financial oversight roles, and must make the same conflict of interest disclosures required of the Foundation's Board.

If you’re interested in serving on the Committee, please email me at stu <at> wikimedia.org with your resume/CV and your thoughts on how you think you could contribute.  Thanks.

-s