[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 18:07:08 UTC 2010

What definition of "neutral" are people using when they say the
boycott template violates NPOV?

I'm struggling with this.

Where the WP servers are located, clearly it is acceptable to show
pictures of Mohammed both legally and culturally.

Amongst (some of, most of?) the speakers of the language wiki it is not.

I'm not sure questions of "neutrality" are the best way to frame this
argument. The two viewpoints are in direct contradiction to each
other, so can it not be argued that we are not neutral because we are
pushing our Western POV which says "sure, go ahead and show images of
Mohammed"?

Don't misunderstand; I am hostile to pretty much all religions and
would find it mildly amusing that anyone could consider murderous
activity because someone published a picture if it were not that
people do actually get killed over this nonsense.

My argument would be that the language wiki is supported by the WMF
and that it would be absurd of the WMF to support a boycott of itself;
communicate that to them as a starting point for dialogue. I need
convincing that an argument from a neutrality standpoint can work.

en.User:Bodnotbod