[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:18:54 UTC 2010

Hoi,
First of all, the problem is with this template being on the main page.
There is room for people to be of the opinion that insults to Muslims or
Islam is not acceptable. I agree with them on this however I do not agree
with them what they protest against. If they make their opinions known on
their profile pages, I do not consider that there is a problem.

It is also neither their call nor your call if the Acehenese Wikipedia is to
be closed. When a majority of the ace community are of this opinion they
have the options to leave, not to show pictures that depict Mohammed, fork
the project and continue localise MediaWiki for the Acehnese language. They
can not force a closure of the ace.wikipedia nor can they prevent people
from editing it.

As to querying my position with regards to the NPOV, that is first of all
beside the point and secondly it can easily be considered a personal attack.
I care about the values of our community and I care about this particular
policy. Apparent violation of the NPOV is however no excuse for knee jerk
reactions. It is no excuse for refusing to converse about such issues. Such
a refusal is how you make enemies out of people who are the closest we have
to friends in societies that are foreign to us.
Thanks,
      GerardM