[Foundation-l] Money, politics and corruption

Sara Crouse scrouse at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 15 15:24:38 UTC 2010

Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> I think that nobody doubts about it.
> Still, I know some people who were not granted the scholarship and
> didn't actually understand why (and don't complain about that).
> Can the Scholarships review committee share the chosen criteria?
> The review process can't be ideal due to the huge number of application
> (2500!!), and I suppose that editcounts or even user groups had to be
> used: it's completely fair, but I would like to know some details.
> It could also be useful for future Wikimania organizers, if the process
> is currently not documented even in private wikis.

For the moment, here are the selection criteria that were applied during
the application review process:

http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships#Applicant_Selection_Criteria

These were originally on the Wikimania team planning wiki, and not kept
private for any specific reason other than that there was no better
place to put them.

A full report documenting the program, processes, results, and lessons
learned will be published on meta in September. The report will be open
for anyone's critique and recommendations on how things may be improved
going forward.

-Sara