[Foundation-l] Money, politics and corruption

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 08:11:28 UTC 2010

2010/7/15 Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com>:
> Okay, this thread has intrigued me and I thought the answers would pan out
> and it seems to have gone in various directions, but it was initiated by
> Milos so I'll focus on what I perceive to be his problem:  Corruption
> (through careerism, nepotism, political functions) and the have versus have
> nots.
>
> My reading between the lines is that this has to do with how scholarships
> and other financial assistance allowed some to attend Wikimania and "live it
> up" as the slang goes, versus those that attended on their own dime and
> didn't have the resources to take part in the social, after hours functions
> that are the lifeblood of networking.  If this is the case, the issue that
> is had is allegations of personal rather than professional reasons that some
> got to attend and had the resources, based on financing, to party.

Just about the scholarship. As far as I know there were two
scholarships - one provided by WMF and the one combined, provided by
Polish and Russian chapters. The WMF scholarship committee was quite
international, and at least what I heard from one Polish Wikipedian,
who was a member of that committee there were clear and resonable
conditions of choosing the best candidates.

In case of Polish-Russian scholarship we in fact accepted all
candidates who applied and fullfiled basic requirements (language
skills and proved commitement to Wikimedia projects). Polish-Russian
scholarship was open to all, and except Russians and Polish
Wikimedians several Ukrainians and one from Czech Republic took
advatange of them.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/