[Foundation-l] Money, politics and corruption

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Jul 14 15:51:33 UTC 2010

ok... I dont see how these problems, if they exist, can ever relate to each
other, to cause you to treat them in one email post other than "OMG OMG
everything is breaking down". At the same time, I just dont understand what
you mean. I'll put some questions down, and hope you can treat them in
seperate threads when not related.

2010/7/14 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>

> Just to make clear about which problems are, because I didn't
> structure text clearly. Problems are:
>
> 1. Corruption among two chapters.

what is your definition of corruption here? Bribing to vote for something?
Espionage?

> 2. US business interests influence WMF strategy.

What is influence here? Harmful influence? What kind of interests - specific
or general?

> 3. Gap between those who are coming between poor and rich countries.

OK, this is a wikimania problem and I understand this problem. However, I
think already everything reasonable is being done here to resolve them.
Could someone from the organization or WMF please reiterate how many
scholarships have been given out?

> 4. All decisions of WMF, chapters and their bodies are now a matter of
> international politics.

I dont see how you can ever draw such a general discussion without talking
to all chapters. Even I have not been able to talk with all of them
recently, so please share your communication methods with me - I would love
to be as efficient!
Seriously however, sure the climate gets more political as organizations get
more professional and have different short time interests.

> 5. Careerists around WMF and chapters.

Yeah, if you mean here that there are volunteers who would like to make a
job out of their hobby - that is not very unlikely indeed, and not very
unexpected either. That might, if targeted and treated correctly, even be
beneficial. So can you perhaps explain in which way it is harmful, at which
scale you are talking about etc?

> 6. Alienation.

This is very very vague, and a complaint I hear since I joined Wikipedia in
2005. What has changed here, how has it become worse, what magical solution
is there now that we never thought of in the last six yeat at the least?

although I sound very critical now, I do thank you for bringing up
discussion. However, discussion is more easy if you are a little more clear
onto what is related, what not - if you treat seperated problems seperately.
Or otherwise explain the problem lying behind them.

best, lodewijk