[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 04:49:04 UTC 2010

Hello,

2010/7/2  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk>:
> WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> If a way of halting the gross infringements can't be done. Then  go back
>>> to hitting the seeders with $22,000 fines per infringed work. The
>>> economic costs of simply walking away and not stopping the piracy are
>>> too much.
>>
>> They know perfectly well how to do it, they've been doing it.
>> If you can't actually get 85 million dollars out of a 13-year-old girl,
>> well then that's your tough luck, welcome to jurisprudence U.S. style.
>
> The loss to the economy is staggering. Yet you'd do nothing, apply no
> sanctions, bitch about rights management, and let $billions each year be
> filtch from the creative industries. That 13 yo is as much a thief as
> the person that smashes the jewelers window and throws the contents into
> the street. Maybe we should have her MySpace and Facebook page branded
> with THIEF.

Sorry, but this is complete bullshit.
There is no loss, because most of the music which is freely downloaded
would never be bought.
These $billions never existed, and there will never exist.

I even think that the opposite is sometime true.
That by making a work freely available online, you create an incentive
for buying it.
Since the cost of the online publishing is marginal, there is an
opportunity for profit.

>> And if after you keep attacking housewives and children, your image is
>> horrible, well that's your tough luck as well.
>> If people hate you because you're trying to protect a work on which you
>> haven't *actually* made any income in thirty-five years.... that's your tough
>> luck.
>>
>> I shouldn't use the work "luck" however in this case, since it implies you
>> didn't bring it upon yourself.
>
> What that someone who creates something that others want is to blame,
> because others have decided that they somehow have an entitlement to take?
>
>> How about this counter-offensive.  Threaten to repeal copyright to the
>> point, where any holder *only* gets ten years.  That's it.
>> Ten years to make your money then it's public domain.  We can call it the
>> "Knock it off or else" proposal.
>
> The bulk of the theft is contemporary works, not the works from 10 years
> ago, but the works that were created last week.
>
> That aside if I invest a bunch of money in some stocks that gives me a
> share in the profits of that companies I've invested in. No one says
> that in 10 years time my rights to a share in those profits are forfeit,
>  and the rights devolved to some general class of whiners and moaners
> with an inflated sense of entitlement.

You cannot blame others if you invest money in the wrong place.

The point is that the publishing industry _has_ to review its economic model
with the new technical situation which is the Internet, and whether it
publishes music, video or text.

Regards,

Yann