[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 20:43:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/14 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
>> To avoid the very real chance that the subjects of explicit photos are
>> underage or have not given publishing consent, I would like to see
>> Commons require proof of model release, and age verification, for
>> explicit images.
>
> And how exactly would they do that? Upload a picture of the model
> holding their passport and a sign saying "I consent to pictures of me
> naked to be used for any purpose" in a few dozen languages? That
> doesn't sound practical to me...

I don't see that it is that unpractical. The language barrier is the
most significant problem, but model releases are routine for
professional photographers. It may be more difficult for amateur
uploaders, but this only applies to sexually explicit photographs and
the standard of attention to the rights of subjects may be more
important than the convenience of amateur photographers in this area.

Nathan