[Foundation-l] Where do our readers come from?

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 09:56:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels a gmail.com> wrote:

> To quantify this, I have taken the 50 largest countries, excluding
> languages where English is the main language (United States, United
> Kingdom, Canada, Australia, India, Philippines, Singapore, Ireland,
> New Zealand, South Africa). For all countries I have compared the
> percentage going to the main language Wikipedia and those going to the
> English Wikipedia (in the Ukrainian case: the Russian Wikipedia), and
> also the 'swing' (in the way the term is used in UK politics, see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_%28United_Kingdom%29) from English
> to the local language (or in the reverse direction, if it is
> negative). For countries such as Spain and Belgium which have more
> than one local language, the similar data with all local languages are
> also given.

I guess there are also a lot of cases similar to the
Australia/Japanese one of IPs wrongly attributed to one country. For
example, I remember that at least a few years ago (I'm not sure now) a
lot of Italian customers of Tele2 had an IP that was Swedish. Maybe
this is not a big effect given that the Sweden/Swedish relationship
does not differ that much from the other Scandinavian countries.
Cruccone