[Foundation-l] Strategy n WMF Staff

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 00:32:51 UTC 2010

I've been part of the strategy process these last few months and will
continue to contribute to the wiki ( strategy.wikimedia.org ).

I've been talking to strategy facilitator Philippe and one of the
things that's come up and is still being discussed [1] is who will be
responsible for putting various ideas raised by the strategy process
into practice.

I *think* it's almost inevitable that a side-effect of strat is that
some volunteers will want to discuss ideas with WMF staff; it's
acknowledged that the role of the WMF, of chapters and of volunteers
overlap to some degree and while discussion may clarify this to some
extent I think Strategy volunteers will be wanting to communicate with
WMF staff more than they had done previously... I know I will.

All of which led me to look at the foundation's staff page:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff

And what I noticed was that whereas, for example, Sue Gardner and Erik
Moller have wiki-linked job titles - which you can click to see their
respective responsibilities - there are quite a few staff entries that
do not.

It occurs to me that if every effort were made to put the
role/responsibilities of ALL staff on the wiki it would really help
people to address their ideas to the people most able to help.

Which brings me to a further point; the staff page has wiki-linked
names which take you to a user page and its associated talk page. Is
the talk page the advised way to contact a staff member directly? Or
is one discouraged from attempting to contact staff directly in
general? Are the mailing lists the approved way of getting through to
the WMF? Or should we direct everything through Cary as Volunteer
Coordinator?

I think answers to these questions will be very useful to strategy
volunteers and so I'd like permission (or explicit advice not) to
paste up the response on the Strategy wiki. Don't panic: I don't
foresee a sudden tidal wave of stuff being thrown at WMF staff. And,
anyway, they all knew there was going to be a strategy, so I guess
they're prepared :o)

[1] http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Task_force/Movement_Roles
/ http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Movement_Roles

User:Bodnotbod @ en:wp / strategy.wikimedia.org