[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Feb 21 16:04:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Moreover if the orignal copyright
> owner transferred the copyright to Foundation - Foundation do no need
> to follow GFDL when using the logo - but it cannot forbid to use the
> logo by others if they follow GFDL and do not break the trademark law.

That assumes the user of the logo can show some evidence that the logo was
in fact released under the GFDL.  I think you'd have a really hard time
proving that (even just by a preponderance of evidence), unless you could
get the original author of the logo to go along with you, anyway.

 (Trademark registration and copyrights are two different things).

And the GFDL is another thing.   The GFDL says that you're allowed to do
certain things provided that you meet certain conditions.  If you GFDL
something and then you try to sue someone for trademark infringement,
they'll just point to the GFDL and say "you gave me permission to do this".

Of course, in this case that argument wouldn't apply, since the person who
(possibly) released the image into the GFDL was not the trademark holder.