[Foundation-l] Mediawiki to C++ , here we go

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 3 01:17:01 UTC 2010

David Gerard wrote:
> On 3 February 2010 00:15, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do note that this is translation of dynamic language code, it doesn't
>> make it as efficient as code written for native compilation.
>

> OTOH, given that wikitext is defined as "what the parser does", it's
> the only current realistic prospect for something faster ...
>
> Wonder how it does at parser-function-laden nested templates.

The template part of the parser is defined by:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Preprocessor_ABNF

Not by "what the parser does". It can easily be ported from PHP to
C++, since that was a design goal when I rewrote it for MW 1.12. In
fact, the Preprocessor_Hash implementation was meant as a model for a
C++ port, not as a permanent and useful part of MediaWiki.

-- Tim Starling