[Foundation-l] Tendrl to Knowino

Noein pronoein at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 19:47:02 UTC 2010

On 20/12/2010 15:31, David Gerard wrote:

>>> This is the type of thinking that sets you up to being blindsided.
>
>> In this case, that sounds like a feature, not a bug.
>

> Specifically, that the only way Wikipedia will get itself any sort of
> viable competitor is by allowing itself to be blindsided.
>
> Fortunately, a proper blindsiding requires something that addresses
> structural defects of Wikipedia in such a way that others can use
> them.
>
> (One idea that was mooted on the Citizendium forums: a general,
> neutral encyclopedia that is heavy on the data, using SMW or similar.
> Some of the dreams of Wikidata would cover this - "infoboxes on
> steroids" at a minimum. Have we made any progress on a coherent
> wishlist for Wikidata?)
>
> [And has someone trademarked Wikidata yet, or a suitable similar
> concept if we're too late?]

Is there a general consensus about achieving a monopoly as a good goal.
 Is this part of some public strategy? Is this the position of WMF? Of
chapters?
I thought I heard some weeks ago on that mail list that diversity is
good. That competitors are healthy. Could we have a clarification of
positions about this?