[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:49:19 UTC 2010

emijrp says:

"I want to make a proposal about external links preservation. Many times,

when you check an external link or a link reference, the website is dead or
offline. This websites are important, because they are the sources for the
facts showed in the articles. Internet Archive searches for interesting
websites to save in their hard disks, so, we can send them our external
links sql tables (all projects and languages of course). They improve their
database and we always have a copy of the sources text to check when needed."

I would want to see the Internet Archive behave in a more ethically
accountable manner before any strong alliance is built with them on any
Wikimedia function.  Namely, for the past 3 months, I have been working with
an attorney to appeal to the Internet Archive to remove a page from their
database that contains libelous information that has been expunged on the
"current" page on the original domain.  The Internet Archive has been
entirely unresponsive to these mailed letters of request.  I think the
Wikimedia Foundation shouldn't be lining up to cooperated with organizations
that don't even respond to important matters of defamation and libel.

Gregory Kohs